Monday, June 15, 2009

American Idol Season 9 Auditions in Boston.



Yesterday was the American Idol Auditions for Season 9 in Boston, MA. I had arrived on Friday night to get my wristband, ticket, and rules. And was told to come back at 5AM Sunday morning to audition.

Sunday morning comes, I wake up around 3 and make my way to the auditions. It is pouring rain the whole time we are in line. By the time they let us inside it was 8AM, so why they wanted everyone at 5 is a mystery. Once inside, they were blasting the chorus the The Pussycat Dolls song "When I Grow Up" this was to be our group song. I sat in my seat and got rained on for a long time. Around 10 or so Ryan Seacrest comes out and addresses the crowd. The moment Ryan comes out, the skies clear up and the rain is over. Fox is so powerful they can change the weather!

Ryan talks to the crowd for a little bit, and we shoot the opening scenes for about an hour and a half. They have us yell things like "Boston Rocks because we're wicked awesome" (what a horrible line) and "I'm The Next American Idol". Then they make us sing the chorus of "When I Grow Up" about 3 or 4 times.

Finally the auditions start, and they go PAINFULLY slow. The weather changes every 10 minutes, it would be so sunny I was getting a sunburn, back to raining and cold, and would repeat the cycle all day.

At one point a guy in the crowd starts singing a bunch of songs to keep us entertained. Everyone seemed to like him, he was a nice guy talking to everyone, and taking requests. At one point someone asked him for his name, and he handed he a business card. Then everyone wanted one, so he just started throwing them out to people who wanted them. A few minutes later someone with a big headset on kicked him out of the auditions. Everyone boo'd and chanted his name, but he was gone.

A bit later on I saw some PLANTS in action. The crew was taking people from backstage areas and sitting them in the audience and filming them doing things like taking to people next to them looking off in the distance, waving, or listening to music. This happened with about 7 or 8 people that I noticed, it could have been more. They already had stickers on with their numbers on it, as apposed to the wristbands everyone else had. (See pictures of some of these people in the gallery below)

By the time it was my turn to audition, it was about 3:30. I made my way to the field, then to booth number 4. My judge was some British sounding woman. I was so nervous I forgot the words to my song, which was Fell In Love With A Girl by the White Stripes. I started over and thought I did pretty well. One of the girls in my line of 4 made it to the next round, but the rest of us did not. They kick you out right after that, and that's it! Maybe next year!

American Idol Season 9 - Boston - When I Grow Up




American Idol Season 9 - Boston - Joey Homza - Damaged