Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paul Kim - Season 9 Correspondent - Hollywood Rounds


Hello again,

First of all I’d like to start off by saying, geez American Idol, could you have made this week’s episodes any more emotional? As a man, I have no shame in admitting that I got teary eyed watching people both go through, or get cut.

Watching this season’s Hollywood Week was eventful. I truly felt for all the contestants. Hollywood Week is probably the most stressful part of the competition. The producers like to create drama and strike doubt in your mind. Also, seeing so many incredible singers get sent home during this part of the show puts everyone on pins and needles.

I am very impressed by the pure musicianship of the contestants this year. The show has decided to cut back on all the gimmicks and tween popularity contests by going with mature, well trained artists both vocally and instrumentally. These guys are so much more polished than those of any other season.

Some people truly got robbed this season. Their were some dubious selections in my opinion. Most of those questionable selections were from the top 12 girls. I just feel like the guys are much stronger this year.

Just wanted to share my own Hollywood experience. When they sent me into the room to know my fate, as to whether I had made it into the top 24, they had Paula sit me down and she actually told me I didn’t make it. They let me sit there for what felt like a good 2 minutes, with the cameras in my face, as I sat with my face buried in my hands, wondering how I had been cut. Then all the sudden she says, “Paul, actually you’re gonna be seeing a lot more of us. You made it through to the top 24!” At that moment I looked up at her and I just broke down. I could barely mouth the words, “How could you do that to me?” She felt so bad she came running over and profusely apologized to me as we both cried in each other’s arms. They never aired that clip though. I guess it was too mean.

Anyways, I’m going to save all my faves for next week, after all 24 contestants get a chance to truly sing live, with no editing, no back stories, and equal face time.

I would like to hear your opinions though. Feel free to tell me who you like in this competition.
Hope you all had a great week!

PK

Follow us on twitter @Idol360 and @PaulKimMusic
Paul Kim on Paul Kim - Trade It All - Single
Listen to 7,000,000+ music tracks on-demand for only $15 with Napster. PLUS Get 15 MP3 Credits