Thursday, March 17, 2011

American Idol Top 12 - Studio Versions


Just like last week, I'll be reviewing the iTunes studio versions of all the Idol's songs. I'm going to listen to them all and run down my opinions as I listen for the first time! (Click on the song titles to download and listen along with me! Or get them all with one click.) Portions of each download will be donated to Red Cross to help the relief effort in Japan.

Casey Abrams - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Some of the vocal audio on this sounds funny, like it was recorded on a cellphone. Just like last week his intense live performance doesn't really translate to the studio version. And what's with the horns?


Haley Reinhart - I'm Your Baby Tonight - The arrangement on this sounds like a Sonic The Hedgehog level. Haley is growing on me week after week. I was actually pretty nervous to see her in the bottom 3 tonight. I'd like to see her stick around for a while. This was a good song, but the jazzy ending just doesn't seem to fit.

Jacob Lusk - Alone - I'm kind of sick of hearing this song on Idol. It's a good song, but it's way over done and seems to always get over sung. I used to like Jacob, but he's losing it more and more every week. And these arrangements with the clapping track and the hip hop style beats are just getting cheesy.

James Durbin - I'll Be There For You - This was actually pretty good. I think I like James a lot better when I don't have to look at that stupid hair and bandanna.


Karen Rodriguez - Love Will Lead You Back - I've been a fan of Karen for a while. She's good at singing this type of song. I'll probably buy her CD should she ever release one, based on her 2 studio recordings.

Lauren Alaina - I'm The Only One - Lauren has a little bit of everything. She's a good pop singer with a nice little country twang. This is much much better than her last studio recording. She kind of reminds me of like, a country Jordin Sparks. She's not amazing, but she'll probably win regardless.

Naima Adedapo - What's Love Got To Do With It - This is like Rihanna meets Tina Turner. Naima's live performances are nothing special, but her studio recordings are pretty good. I just that's no different that most pop stars these days. After listening to these recordings, I think that maybe the right person did go home this week.

Paul McDonald - I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - For me, this will always be an Alex Wagner-Trugman jam. But really, I love Paul and this song really suits his unique voice. I'd love to see him really rock out next week though.


Pia Toscano
- Where Do Broken Hearts Go - This was awesome, and I really liked the dancey beat it had. Pia really has a great shot at winning this whole thing. I never really pictured Pia winning until right now. She's a really really good fit for this show.

Scotty McCreery - Can I Trust You With My Heart - I'm just going to copy and paste what I said last week. If you follow me on twitter you'll know that I don't like Scotty all that much. It's not that I think he's a BAD singer it's just that I don't like his kind of country music and I don't know much about it. I think he'll do very well on country radio no matter how far he makes it on Idol, which is why we should vote him off as soon as possible.

Stefano Langone - If You Don't Know Me By Now - This was just boring. It's a "typical American Idol song". It sounds nice, he didn't screw anything up. It's just there, and the next time it comes up on shuffle I'll probably skip it. He needs to step it up next week.

Thia Megia - Colors Of The Wind - So what if Thia is a robot? She can sing Disney every week, just because I like Disney songs. I can't wait to hear her sing I Just Can't Wait To Be King next week. Oh, and she was born in 1995. 1995! That makes me feel so old.

Do you agree or disagree with my comments? Which was your favorite? Let me know on twitter @Idol360.