Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Paul Kim - Season 9 Correspondent - Top 11


Hello Idol fans,

This week’s top 11 episode was interesting… It made me rethink my opinion on certain contestants, and turned me off to others.

I’ll start off by saying that I really like Lee’s voice, and his stage presence has improved vastly, but he tends to yell throughout the entire performance, and it gets to be too much.

Paige and Tim just don’t belong in the top 11. It has to be said. They lack the type of talent to go on a nationwide tour.

Someone please explain to me the hype over Crystal. I think it was a decent performance, but the judges seem to be enamored with her.

This Michael Lynche is truly impressing me. Despite what the judges said, I loved his performance. And this is the guy I picked to go home during the first week. I think I may have a new favorite in this competition.

I love Aaron’s voice. There is some incredible potential in there. Imagine how good he’ll sound in 3 years.

I don’t know what to say about Andrew right now. I’m a fan, but I just don’t feel like he’s right for this type of competition. I don’t see him as a pop singer. He should be doing acoustic sets in smoky clubs, creating songs within his own artistic realm. I felt like his rendition of Heard it Through the Grapevine was in a key way too low. I think he may have been afraid of the falsetto parts in that song.

Casey has stayed pretty consistent for me throughout the competition. I hated him during his audition, but this guy has some star quality.

I haven’t liked Didi the last few weeks, but she impressed me with finally showing some power and range this week. I refuse to let the judges sway my opinion on this one. I liked it.
Katie was much better this week, so she should be safe.

Siobhan’s quirkiness has finally started to grow on me. The Sanjayaesque faux-hawk was cool. And of course her voice is always crisp and energetic. The ending was a bit over the top, but she can “sang”.

Tidbits:

Hated Miley Cyrus as a mentor. What were they thinking?

I miss Paula.

Will the show flop once Simon leaves? I think so.

Follow us on twitter @Idol360 and @PaulKimMusic

Paul Kim on Paul Kim - Trade It All - Single